Have you noticed the recent push for disarming our nuclear weapons? I was thinking about this one day and have ultimately decided that that would be the stupidest think we could possibly do. The argument to disarm our nuclear weapons is a more complex version of this analogy. Lets say that there is a guy named Bob and another guy named Duke. Bob doesn't like Duke so he grabs a stick and starts attacking Duke, So Duke gets a bigger stick. Today people are saying that because we have nuclear weapons someone is going to create a “bigger stick” and that we need to stop this cycle. (I fully understand that this is only one of the arguments against nuclear arms, I will tackle some of the others later on)
The Logic behind that argument is pretty sound, but if you look at my first analogy a little different things can change. So Bob has a stick and decides to attack Duke. Duke could grab a bigger stick, but decides to grab a shield. That stops Bob for awhile but eventually he will get through the shield. We have seen this in modern history as well, lets say that Bob creates a bomb, so duke creates a bunker. Bob will eventually create a bunker busting bomb, and duke is out of luck. I've decided that Nuclear weapons could be seen as a shield.
Many people tell us that having enough bombs to destroy the world is too much, I don't think so, lets look back to the cold war, there was violence and a lot of fear but it was in fact a “cold war” in any other time in history that amount of fear would have led to another world war. Why didn't it? I think that the primary reason is nuclear weapons, The Russians weren't going attack the United states because of our nuclear weapons and vice versa. The Russians wouldn't even launch a preemptive nuclear strike, they understood that the repercussions, it would eventually lead to global destruction. The one rule that we can hold constant in human nature is that we are all about self preservation, there is no point in destroying an enemy if you will die too a lowly terrorist grunt may sacrifice himself, but you don't see the leaders strapping bombs to themselves. No one is stupid enough to preemptively use a nuclear weapon nowadays (even Iran and North Korea), it would be suicide. So nuclear weapons serve a different purpose now, one country can say “If you attack me I will use my nukes to defend myself” and “if you use your nukes first we will send all of our nukes before we die and blow the shiz out of you”
Personally I prefer the little wars we fight nowadays, if we disarm our nukes we lose our shield and I can safely predict global war.
I know that my line of thinking may not be new but I decided on my own and that is important, I think that sometimes we are persuaded to easily. I may be wrong but at least I put some thought into it and decided for myself.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Very interesting Dan. There are a lot of people who don't even think about this stuff.
Your writing skills are much improved. ;D
Post a Comment